Types of wagers in horse racing betting
Betting is an activity that many people all over the world indulge in. Sports betting is probably the most popular form of betting. There are many sports on which you can bet, such as football, cricket, tennis, horse racing, badminton, etc. Horse racing is one of the first sports in which wagering took place. Horse race betting started in the 1600s in the UK and is still popular to this day. Horse racing has stood the test of time and continues to be popular among people. While many people might not be interested in playing the sport, many people are interested in betting on the horse races held worldwide all year round.
Reading the news is helpful when you are trying to understand and learn about how horse racing works. Following the latest happenings in horse racing helps in getting familiar with famous players. Before you start betting on horse races, you should know the basics of the sport and how betting on the sport is done. If you want to do horse race betting, here are the types of bets you should be aware of in horse race betting.
In horse race betting, there are two types of wagers, namely straight wagers, and exotic wagers. The main difference between the two is that in straight wagers you can place a bet on one horse only, while in exotic wagers you can place multiple bets on multiple horses in a single race. An exotic wager increases your chances of making a profit because you get to place multiple wagers.
Types of Straight Wagers
- Win: In this type of bet you simply wager on which horse will win the race, that is, come in the first place. Such bets have high payouts and you can collect your money if your horse does win.
- Place: In this bet, you can wager on your horse finishing the race in the first or second place. Such bets have a comparatively lower payout than a winning wager.
- Show: Placing a show bet means that you are wagering on your horse finishing in first, second, or third place in the race. Although the chances of winning such a bet are high, the payout is low.
- Across the Board: This bet is simply the combination of the above bets. Here you are wagering that your horse will win, place and show. It is also called a combo straight wager.
Types of Exotic Wagers
- Exacta: Such a bet is placed when you’re wagering that two of the horses will finish in the first and second place in the exact order.
- Quinella: In this bet, you wager on two of the horses finishing in the first and second place, not in any particular order.
- Trifecta: In such bets, you wager on three horses that they will come first, second and third in the race in the exact order.
- Superfecta: Such a bet is placed when you want to wager on three horses coming in first, second, and third place in any order.